EuroPro Tour to make Galgorm Castle return

Chris Hanson lines up a putt on the 18th green at Galgorm Castle

THE PGA EuroPro Tour is returning to Galgorm Castle for the third year in succession.
The tournament has quickly become one of the premier events on the development tour with large crowds turning out to watch the action at the Ballymena venue.
Gary Henry, General Manager of Galgorm Castle Golf Club said, “Galgorm is delighted and welcomes the announcement that the PGA EuroPro Tour will be returning.
“Following the amazing success of the event in 2010 and 2011, we hope that we can build on the success and add even more to the 2012 event.”
The announcement comes as welcome news for the local economy bringing visitors from outside Northern Ireland to the province.
It showcases Galgorm Castle, Galgorm Resort & Spa and the general Ballymena area to a wider audience as Northern Ireland is once more placed in the global shop window.
Last year’s event was won by Englishman Chris Hanson after a play-off victory over Graeme Clark.
With 2010 US Open Champion Graeme McDowell among the crowd, Hanson edged out Clarke on the second hole of a play-off after the pair had finished level on -14.
Hanson, a three-time winner in 2011, went on top the tour rankings and book a place on the Challenge Tour in 2012.
Steven Hackett (Cork) finished in third position on -10, while Billy Fowles (Wentworth), Michael McGeady and Michael Collins shared fourth spot on -8.
McDowell was impressed with the standard of golf on the EuroPro Tour and also paid tribute to the organisers of the EuroPro event at Galgorm.
“This event is a great training event for the stars of the future,” said McDowell.
“It’s very difficult to jump straight on to the European Tour. Guys have to toughen themselves up and learn their trade.

“It’s a great event for Galgorm Castle which is a course I played when I was a young boy. It’s a great location and they have great sponsors on board.”

Cork venue, Fota Island, is back on the rota for a return in 2011 while Co Monaghan venue, Concra Wood will welcome the tour for the first time.
The Castleblayney course, designed by Christy O’Connor jnr, has received rave reviews since opening for play in 2008.
Dates
* May 30 to June 1 (Wednesday to Friday) – Galgorm Castle, Ballymena, Northern Ireland. (Practice day – May 28, Pro-Am – May 29).
* July 4 to 6 (Wednesday to Friday) – Fota Island, Cork, Ireland. (Practice day – TBA, Pro-Am – July 2, 3)
* July 11 to 13 (Wednesday to Friday) – Concra Wood, County Monaghan, Ireland. (Practice day – TBA, Pro-Am – TBC).

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

2 Responses to “EuroPro Tour to make Galgorm Castle return”

  1. Alan Kelly Says:

    Hi Paul, would you be the man to source information on how to run a top class pro am in 2015 as we have some top names interested but need to start planning now.
    Regards
    Alan Kelly

    • pkgolf Says:

      Afternoon Alan
      There are a lot of options – run if yourself, bring in a consultant, bring in the Irish PGA
      My feeling would be that you should contact the Irish PGA first –
      The Europro tour events are costly to host – 20k – to begin with although you do have the Sky coverage
      You could also contact a company like Horizon Sports first who look after Rory McIlroy/Graeme McDowell etc – they have the contacts and the expertise to run an event as well –
      Send me an email with more details of what you are thinking about – i might be able to point you in the right direction

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: